Friday, April 27, 2012

The Worst Pies in London



Okay so at this point, things are wrapping up. The last major assignments are coming up, the last grocery runs, and the last opportunities to run around and do everything in London! So some of the days are a little boring, but we still have some great adventures left! I’ll do a quick run through of the week, focusing on the fun stuff!

Monday, April 23rd: LAST PRACTICUM. Sad to say I don’t think the teachers, or the students, really noticed when I was there or not, but hey- it was still a good experience.

Tuesday, April 24th: Just class. Nothing special, until…SWEENEY TODD. So most people don’t like the plot, which I understand- the Demon Barber on Fleet Street that makes meat pies out of his victims. Not the most upbeat plot, but I still love the music. Plus after being in it my junior year at Marist, I had to go see the West end production. I’m so glad I did because it was PHENOMENAL. Up there with Billy Elliot quality, easily. Michael Ball, who played Sweeney Todd, was the original lead in the musical Les Mis if that gives you any idea of how talented he was. Ms. Lovett is played by Professor Umbridge from the Harry Potter movies.

I came out of the theater speechless, mind blown. The talent was absolutely remarkable and it made for a great production! I wish I could explain it better than that, but I’m so glad we went! (I went with 2 girls in the program, Sarah & Dorothy.) It’ll probably be my last musical in London (probably), so it was a good one to end on! Now I just really want the cast recorded CD…

Wednesday April 25th: For art class today Lisa led us on a Street Art tour! The rain initially made us all hesitant, but it ended up being really interesting. Lisa knows a street artist (“Don”) who met up with us during the tour. We ended up seeing more of his work then anyone else’s, but I really like his. I probably like it because we had a chance to sit down and talk to Paul (aka Don) about his technique and his thought process behind his art. He was a bit spacey, enthusiastic, and hard to follow with his train of thought, but he did have some great lines.
 

“Graffiti is all about me, me, me, but street art is more thinky thinky.” (a great explanation of the difference in my opinion)

“Street art is about putting your soul out on the street.”

He was going to paint a piece outside for us to see!! Sadly though, the rain didn’t let up enough for the walls to dry.

Thursday, April 26th:
We didn’t have class today because our GST research paper was due so it was a final work day. To reward ourselves for finishing our papers, KJ, Neenz & I (who Dr. Hall has named K cubed) went to the Kew Gardens! We all LOVED it!! It was raining earlier in the day, but it cleared up, so our weather was gorgeous! The Garden itself are huge, and we got lost a few times walking around. (Oh by the way they use the word garden for what we would just call yard).

We went into a palm house (like a green house) for our very own Costa Rica adventure…or so we said. We climbed a tree, took flower pictures, walked along the Xstrata Treetop walkway, and went into the Kew Palace. The Kew Palace ended up being great because it is where King George III & his family lived. Since we studied him in Theater & saw The Madness of King George III we could really appreciate where we were!


Thursday night we had our last Theater play: The Conquering Hero. This was a theater in the round, which means that we sat all around the stage. It was a really small theater; so small I had to pull my feet in a couple of times for an actor walking in front of me (I was in the front row). I was really impressed by the play too. It was really intense, all about a family during World War I. It was a serious note to end on but definitely well done!

Friday, April 27: Day 2 of our 5 day weekend.
First stop was Harrod’s for some final souvenir/gift shopping (I’m almost done…almost).
Then we (Kj, Neenz, & I) went to the Kensington Gardens to go to the Kensington Palace. This is the palace that Will & Kate have decided to make their permanent residence. The palace is huge, and we were able to tour an area that has been set up to honor some monarchs (Monarchs I believe that lived in the Palace)- Princess Di, Queen Mary II, Queen Victoria, King George II. I’m curious as to how much will change once Will & Kate have officially and completely moved in..I guess we’ll see!

The countdown is down to 10 days. For most people that’s a countdown to go home; for me it’s a countdown for the end of the program but also for my parents’ arrival in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment