Saturday, March 31, 2012

The End of March!


So my final blog in the month of March…I don’t know where this time is going, but we only have about 5 weeks left in the program. I’m so glad my parents (and Liz) are coming at the end, so I get to extend my time here in London.

I also can’t believe that one week ago we were getting back from Dublin, but it’s time to blog about this week back in London. It was a very British week in my opinion:

Sunday, March 25th:
Okay Sunday wasn’t particularly British. Mass, homework, unpacking, reorganizing…that basically took up the whole day, especially since we were all reuniting and talking about our breaks. However Sunday was also the beginning of some gorgeous weather! Sunny, warm, say goodbye to the jacket (if only for a week).

Monday, March 26th:
Okay the exciting week hasn’t started yet…I spent Monday at my school, St. Marylebone, observing English class after English class. Even though these days are very long, it’s a good experience (not to mention resume booster).

Tuesday, March 27th:
Today began pretty low key with my GST class, but then for my theater class we went to the Imperial War Museum to study WWI in preparation for seeing War Horse next week. This museum is really impressive! It’s huge, and we were quickly worn out. After looking at trenches and propaganda for class, I spent some time in the Holocaust exhibition. The IWM has a really impressive Holocaust area that’s heart wrenching and educational all at once. I only spent 45-50 minutes in there, but it’d be easy to spend over an hour there. The IWM covers everything from the 1st and 2nd World War, the Cold War, Conflict since 1945, and everything else too. My favorite part of the museum was probably “The Secret War.” This exhibition was all about M16, M15 aka spy warfare. It was something really unique to look at in a museum. The rest of the day was just spent working back in the flat.

Wednesday, March 28th:
Today was a very very British day. We had a picnic lunch, because it was almost 70 degrees!, in Green Park. This park is gorgeous, green, and near Buckingham Palace. We had lunch there before we headed to meet Lisa for our Art class. For our class today we toured West End Galleries!! This was so cool because I would never feel educated or sophisticated enough to just wander into a gallery. The 7 (or maybe 8) we went were all in Mayfair, which if you remember from an earlier blog, is a very posh area of town. So we went into these galleries to look at more art, some that we studied, some local, and start generating ideas for our “Fantasy Gallery” which is our final project. We start street art, paintings made with blow torches, glass art, and other contemporary art.

We ended our class in Selfridges (the #1 or #2 largest department stores, it’s up there with Harrods) where we ate Pinkberry! Pinkberry is a froyo place that actually originated in the states (I have yet to try Snog-the UK froyo). 

Thursday, March 29th:
Today GST was dedicated to a museum independent visit project, so my roommates and I headed to the Science Museum. This museum is not exactly user friendly because the stairs and lifts are in weird corners and don’t access every floor. There’s also so much to see that it’s a bit overwhelming to a non-science person like myself. But I spent a good amount of time studying the story of steam, for my GST assignment.

After the museum, we stopped by the V&A (Victoria & Albert) museum that apparently has some really great stuff in it (sorry Mom, I say stuff because I’m not sure what exactly there is, I know there’s a lot of artwork, but that may not be it). However, it was a bit too overwhelming to do right after another museum, so we’ll come back to it.

Then on the way home we stopped by High Street Kensington, that’s known for its shopping. I didn’t buy anything, but I’ve now been in a T.K. Maxx! And yes that’s exactly what it sounds like-T.J. Maxx, but the UK version. I’m not sure what the K, or the J, stands for though…

Friday, March 30th:
Today the weather was gorgeous!! So I spent a sold 3 ½ hours with a few other girls out in Hyde Park! We brought our lunch, picnicked, and then just basked in the sun! I wasn’t wearing a jacket, tights, or boots! Crazy right? Sadly, Friday was the last of the warm weather. We took advantage of it though and got in our Vitamin D. Hyde Park is huge!! Lots of green space and really gorgeous flowers too! Friday night we just spent in the flat, watching TV, since the sun took it out of us :)

 Saturday, March 31st:
Despite the 50 degree weather, a few of us girls went out to watch Tim and his rugby team. Sadly, they lost, however we still made it a fun outing. We cheered for the Serpents and just got to spend time watching Rugby outside. After the game, Tim and his friend Ollie convinced us to stop by the pub if only briefly to hang out with the team. So eventually we gave in. How often do you get to hang out with a rugby team in a pub in London? Not very often, so that was another very British day. The rest of this four day weekend however is going to have to be productive on school work…things are beginning to pick up!


No comments:

Post a Comment